Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Is Summer Almost Over????
I can't believe summer is almost over. It seems to have passed by so fast this year. Let me catch you up on the Dixon Family...
Back in June I had the chance to head up to New York City for the first time. It was an awesome trip. I flew up from Raleigh and met my Aunt Betty (who flew from Charlotte) at the airport. Our flights arrived within minutes of each other and sure enough we met right outside of the bagage claim area and then we were off! Most interesting fact about the cab ride...It was equipped with a GPS screen in the back seat so you can see where you were on the map and in the corner of the screen...it would update as to how much you owed at any given point for the cab ride. We got there about lunch time and we got checked into the hotel (Double Tree at Time Square) and then headed over to Roxy's for a huge lunch. That afternoon we visited the Empire State Building and I took some awesome pictures. On Tuesday morning I was up at the crack of dawn and headed down to the Good Morning America studios. (My Aunt got to sleep in since she didn't have to go to work /meeting until 9'ish...but she did get to see me on TV) I was able to meet Alonzo Mourning, former NBA player as well as Chris and Robin. I had my picture taken with them! After Good Morning America, I took a 5 1/2 hour tour of New York City. It was excellent for a first time visitor like myself. Tuesday night we went to eat at an Italian place that was really good, and then we went to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. That was really good too. Wednesday Morning I got up at the crack of dawn and walked to Rockefellar Plaza to be on the Today show. I did get to shake Matt Lauers hand. I was soooo excited....even though I was getting rained on, it was still worth it. Meredith Vierra was not there that day, but I did get to see Al Roker and Matt Lauer. I walked (and walked, and walked in the rain) to no avail trying to find the Fox News Studio for Fox and Friends... I will find it on my next trip. After I returned to the hotel, my aunt wasn't even up yet... After she did get up and going, we headed out shopping...she didn't have a meeting that day. My favorite place was the M&M store. That place was huge! We went back to Roxy's to have lunch (again). We decided we would try to see another Broadway show, so we got tickets to Guys and Dolls. What a great choice! Little did we know that the final performance would be that coming Sunday. It was an excellent show! I still can't believe they took it off Broadway! For dinner that night, we ate at some Bar-B-Que / Ribs place...forgive me, I can't remember the name of the place. Well, Thursday morning we got packed up and headed back to the airport. After some flight delays, I got back to RDU around 4pm. Little did my girls know what I had in store for them on Friday....
Since I had not spent any time with the girls that week, I kept Reagan home from daycare and Raeanne home so we spent the morning together. Around lunch time, my friend Carolyn brought her daughter Maria over....instantly, the girls knew something was up. I got out the video camera and as they were standing all in a line, they asked (as if rehersed) "Where are we going?" I calmly said "Greensboro". They asked "Why?"...a little more excited, I said "to see KELLIE PICKLER!!!!!" They all screamed and hooped and hollored. They were so excited. Then I broke in and said, "That's not all....Kellie Pickler is opening for TAYLOR SWIFT" They went wild! So we hurried up and left Greene County and headed for Greensboro. All the girls did so well. They took a nap most of the way up there. We ate at Daryl's for supper and as we were eating supper, another group of people were seated at the table beside us. We couldn't help but notice that one guy was wearing an "All Access" pass. Carolyn and I thought this guy might be part of the road crew...wearing jeans & T-shirt...so before we left, we kindly asked him if he would mind showing the girls his All Access pass. He said "No Problem", well his mom, who was sitting at the table with him, chimmed in..."he's the banjo player for Taylor...He'll be on stage tonight when Taylor start singing, so you girls look for him!" I thought Carolyn and I would fall out with laughter! Here we thought he was part of the road crew! The concert was great. Glorianna opened up, then Kellie Pickler. (Kellie did an awesome job on the song that was written about her mom...can't remember the name of it...) Then Taylor did a great job as well. Our girls loved it! We had pretty good seats too. We were 14 rows from the stage, the only downfall were the teenage girls on the row behind us screamed almost the entire time. They did become a little annoying after a bit. About 11:30 Friday night, we headed back home to Greene County. We stopped one time for a drink and potty break, but we still got home around 2:30 Saturday morning. Poor Maria had her birthday party the next day, I was really worried that she would be dragging for the party, but that too, went well.
July 4th came quickly after that and we spent that down at the Croaker Festival in Oriental. The kids enjoyed playing on all the "kiddie rides". Mike ended up working most of the month of July. He was in Raleigh 3 different weeks doing either presentations, workshops, or doing some work for the Collaborative at Peace college. I took my dreaded MBLEx exam on July 11th. I was sooo nervous that day. The fact that I paid almost $200 to take the exam was enough to send my "fight or flight" into over-drive. I did pass it on the first try! I sent off my paper work for my massage license to the state and they received it on July 14th. I know the website for the massage board said they would respond within 30 business days, so I still sit (patiently) waiting to get my license...It is August 5th right? Maybe I will get them soon!
We celebrated the end of the month of July by taking the kids to see G-Force in 3 D. It was a cute movie. On Saturday (August 1) we left about 6 am and headed toward the acquarium at Fort Fisher. (Hint and note to self...do not use mapquest directions to get from Snow Hill to Fort Fisher - Loggerhead Road.) We finished up at the acquarium and then went to the Fort at Fort Fisher for a tour. Then we did lunch and little shopping at the mall in Wilmington. We were able to buy most of Raeanne's uniforms for school on this trip, so it really was worth stopping at the mall. We were running out of time, so we skipped the Battleship and headed on to Myrtle Beach. We took a breather after we checked into the hotel and then headed over to the Dixie Stampede. Reagan had never been before and she really liked the horses. (Did I mention we were on the front row of the South side and the horses were right in front of us...she really liked that) On Sunday morning we ate a brunch at the House of Blues and then did some shopping over at Barefoot Landing and the Tanger Outlets. We headed back to Wilmington 2 pm or so and ended up back at the mall to shop some more. (We had planned on seeing the Battleship on Sunday on our way back through...but it was raining. That will have to be done on another trip.) After an early supper at Ruby Tuesday's, we headed back to Snow Hill and got home around 7:30. We were all kinda beat, but the girls did great with so much going and taking "little" naps off and on throughout our "day-cation".
Now we are preparing for Bible School that starts tonight. I am hoping for 10 kids to show up. It won't be long before school will be starting back. Raeanne will be in the 4th grade and hopefully the funding will be available for Reagan to enter Pre-K. We still haven't heard if the program will be funded this year.... I promise to try to do better about updating the blog. I have been really slack!
C-Ya!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment